Professor Langtangen left several documents useful for researchers, students, and teachers, who use/learn/teach numerical methods for science.
- Use of GitHub with Git is a very good introduction of Git for scientists.
- Experience with using Python for teaching scientific computing, for teachers, tells an established way to teach scientific computing.
Several documents are outdated but include important hints and guides for better code writing.
- How to access Python for doing scientific computing compares many ways to install Python and related packages.
- Then Tutorials on Scientific Computing with Python for beginners.
- For beginners+, Learning outcomes for computing competence is a must-read.
- How to debug Python code introduces modern “debugging”, and
- Software testing with nose and pytest introduces modern “testing”; debugging and testing are the two most important concepts in modern computing.
In addition, he left several tutorials on
- DocOnce, a lighter alternative of Sphinx to provide documents both in LaTeX-PDF and HTML formats
- Cython, if you think Python is not fast enough for you.